Newbie starting point :) WAS: WAS... Re: pTLA request for RMNET - review closes 23 April 2002 (fwd)

Dave dave@dave.tj
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 19:34:33 -0400 (EDT)

I also forgot to forward a copy of this message to the list :-(

 - Dave

Subject: Re: Newbie starting point :) WAS: WAS... Re: pTLA request for RMNET - review closes 23 April 2002
To: jeroen@unfix.org (Jeroen Massar)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 18:52:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dave <dave@dave.tj>

Reply inline:

 - Dave

Jeroen Massar wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>
> > Nope, you're _not_ alone.  In fact, you've had much more luck than
> > I've had.  I finally gave up on getting it to work serveral
> > months ago,
> <SNIP>
>
> Wellps, I've changed the subject to the not very subtile 'newbie
> starting point'.
> I hope nobody gets offended by that but here we go:
Of course I'm offended, but who cares?  My goal here is to learn, and
... well, uh, yes, I guess I am a newbie :-(

> For linux it's all quite easy, simply read Peter Bieringer's FAQ at:
> http://www.bieringer.de/linux/IPv6/index.html
I've read through that document God-knows-how-many times (almost everybody
points me at it), but it's not much use, primarily because it doesn't
explain anything with enough in-depth coverage for me to figure out
what's going on, and why my setup refuses to work the way his HOWTO says
it should work.

> It mentions about everything, if you aren't comfortable with compiling
> your own tools,
> you can ofcourse always use things like Debian and/or RedHat, especially
> Debian is quite nice as it has all the tools in it.
I have never had anything against compiling my own tools.  (I've been
doing just that since before the existance of Win95, and I see no reason
to stop now.)

> (apt-get install traceroute6 etc ;) Oh and I shouldn't forget mentioning
> the Polish Linux Distribution (www.pld.org.pl/)
> Who have IPv6 as default and many patches for programs come from their
> hand! (RPM based distro btw ;)
> I personally favor Debian, but that's all about taste.
I'd rather stick with my old faithful Slackware (even though Slackware
itself no longer appears to be supporting the distro, which kinda sucks).

> If you want to compile things yourself you can ofcourse always steal the
> tarballs from the Debian servers.
> ftp://ftp.nl.debian.org/pub/linux/debian/pool/main/i/iputils/iputils_200
> 20124.orig.tar.gz or other mirrors.
> These are the original tarballs, so simply check www.debian.org which
> package contains what and leech the tarball.
That, I haven't tried yet ... I'll provide an update on my situation
after I've given that approach a shot.

> Net/Free/Open/*/BSD: default support for IPv6 or simply leech the KAME
> iso's (www.kame.net)
I hate most of the *BSDs, because their totally user-unfriendly.
Slackware GNU/Linux was designed from the ground up to be easy to use,
which is the primary reason why I've always loved it.

> And about getting an uplink to the rest of the IPv6 world:
> http://dmoz.org/editors/editcat.cgi?cat=Computers/Internet/Protocols/IP/
> IPng/IPv6_Access_Providers
There's plenty of info about that topic, and I've read quite a bit of it,
too.  I'm quite confident that once I can get my own systems to talk IPv6,
getting them to chat with the rest of the world will be a piece of cake.

> and for all the news & many tunnels providers:
> http://hs247.com
> which is a good place to start too as it has many links to all kinds of
> IPv6 related stuff.
been there; done that ... mostly links to all the HOWTOs and FAQs I've
already found by other methods :-(

> So where is the problem ? :)
LOL. . .