Can dynamic ipv4 addresses be used to tunnel the ipv6 traffic ?

Smith, Mark - Sydney smith.r.mark@wcom.com.au
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 17:28:58 +0800

You can use freenet6 as suggested by others, or alternatively a mechanism
called "6to4" :

http://www.6bone.net/6bone_6to4.html

As an unrelated (specifically to IPv6) alternative I've been playing with
this :

http://openvpn.sourceforge.net/

which allows you to set up a virtual ethernet network between hosts over an
encrypted udp tunnel. I'm about to start using it to run a virtual ethernet
into our lab at work, and the run IPv6 over it. As it creates a virtual
ethernet, you can run any protocol over it eg IPv4, ipx, appletalk etc.
Also, as it is emulating a multicast capable layer 2 link, all the standard
IPv6 Neighbor discovery mechanisms work eg Router Solicitations /
Advertisments etc etc ie. your local tunnel end point autoconfigures its
IPv6 address with prefixes listed in the received router advertisements.

Note, if you use it using a tap virtual ethernet interface rather than a tun
point to point interface, the mtu of the tunnel will be 1436 rather than
1450 in the doco.

Finally, the feature I like the most is the ability for it to cope with the
underlying IPv4 tunnel end point IP addresses to change. Really useful for
when your dial link hangs up and you get a new IPv4 address when you dial in
again, or your DSL ISP changes your IPv4 IP address on you.

The only requirement is to have an already enabled IPv6 native endpoint you
can stick a linux box in to act as your remote openvpn tunnel endpoint, so
it may not be all that useful if you are "on your own".

Regards,
Mark.