bad tunnel topology

info@caladan.net info@caladan.net
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 08:13:59 +0100

On 11 Apr 2002 at 22:28, Pekka Savola wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Apr 2002 info@caladan.net wrote:
>
> > So unless you know different? We have cables between ourselves and
> > UK6X and ourselves and UUNET, If anyone else would like to peer with
> > us natively either direct or via UK6X, we have a presence in
> > Telehouse, London and MCC, Manchester.
>
> I have no idea about policies etc. and what organizations are there
> and how big you are, but at least in IPv4 world, some big players are
> reluctant to peer with smaller players, have a customer relationship.
>
> Perhaps some in UK6x feel this way.  IPv6 is not all that much
> business now, but peering might be difficult to remove gracefully
> later on.

IPv6 is driven by the engineer and technical people, IPv4 is driven
by the people concerned with commercial reality, so the two worlds
(at the moment) are completely different.

We are a relatively small ISP but even so, we manage to peer with
most people in the IPv4 world, apart from the really big carriers, who
as you say are reluctant or simply will not peer with us.

In IPv6 world this is (currently) simply not the case - we have a
direct cable to UUNET and we peer with BT at UK6X - two of the
biggest !

It just seems that although the technical people are interested in
IPv6, maybe the people who dish out the money are not yet
convinced?

I hope UK6X and all the other native IPv6 exchanges are a success,
but to it's just not happening... yet.

Chris