[OT] IPv6 applications in active use

Pim van Pelt pim@ipng.nl
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:13:35 +0200

Hi,

I am sometimes amazed on how many people seem to feal that IPv6 is not
yet in use. Although I do not know any company that is truely running
production (paid) services with it, many endusers I know of (300 or
more) use IPv6 on a daily basis, most of them to circumvent NAT problems
at ISPs that give them 1 IP per dialup/cablemodem.

For the newcomers here, and also for any European entity who would wish
to gain pTLA status at some time, please visit http://www.ipng.nl/ and
see what Jeroen and I have been building for the last 3 years.
Anyone with a brain, a static IPv4 address and 24/7 connectivity can
join at our site.

I actually agree with Pekka that you should try to keep traffic local
and look for a tunnelbroker in your area, I'm sure that http://hs247.com/
has a list for you.

| > I personally use on day by day basis, IPv6 enabled:
| >  - SSH (PuTTY :)
| How did you accomplish this?  PuTTY seems to use IPv4 for me, although
| OpenSSH (which I use the majority of the time by far) works fine.
Jeroen has ported it himself, and you can download a copy from his pages
at http://unfix.org/projects/ipv6/ or simply download a newer version
because the author of PuTTY has incorporated Jeroen's patches into the
CVS. Jeroen does wonderful work on porting apps we need at IPng ;-)

| >  - SMTP
Postfix works fine with patches. Sendmail works also fine.

| >  - Quake 1 + 2*
heh.

| >  - HTTP
| >  - X
| I'm curious: Have you accomplished this without ssh tunneling?  (Not
| that it's a good idea to do otherwise much anymore, but...)
X can work fine over IPv6, I don't remember ever having to patch
anything. The server simply opens a listen socket in the AF_INET6 world.

I also use NFS over IPv6 (since NetBSD started supporting this), it
works fine for me, even on 100 mbps MAN connections.

| IRC....LAN/Internet/Host
| (If anyone on the list frequents Efnet, hybrid-7 has IPv6
| support--assuming they get a move on, this should make it the largest
| IPv6-enabled network (assuming that people run ircd on ipv6 hosts, but I
| have reason to believe that some will))
The IRCNet ircd has support since 2.9, full fledged however the coding
team there is thinking about a rewrite of the code so it is less hacky
and more of what you'd come to expect from portable code (eg, struct
sockaddr and getaddrinfo() et al)

	groet,
Pim
--