[OT] IPv6 applications in active use

Harald Koch chk@pobox.com
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:05:42 -0400

> How did you accomplish this?  PuTTY seems to use IPv4 for me, although
> OpenSSH (which I use the majority of the time by far) works fine.=20

<http://unfix.org/projects/ipv6/>

More generally speaking, regularly checking <http://www.hs247.com/> is a
good idea :-)

> >  - X
> I'm curious: Have you accomplished this without ssh tunneling?

I'm curious too; last time I checked X11 needed major work to support IPv6.

> I've also been wondering (although this is really beyond the scope of
> the list) why Mozilla on Win32 lacks IPv6 support (IE works fine.)

IE works fine but is entirely unsupported, and you have to reinstall the
magic DLL every time you ugrade IE, which makes me wonder what bugs I'm
reintroducing by doing so.

Interestingly, Java 1.4 ships with native IPv6, but only for Linux and
Solaris 8. Perhaps the problem is that IPv6 isn't really available for
Win32 (until XP)?

> Mail is one place I'd like to see IPv6 support improve for.  Do any MTAs
> besides Exim support IPv6?  What MUAs support IPv6?

sendmail and fetchmail. Both have IPv6 support out-of-the-box with
RedHat 7.2.

Other software that I use:

- Apache 2.0.35 (non-beta) is now out, and supports IPv6; it's working
  fine for me.
- CIPE (an encrypting tunnel manager) works fine with native IPv6 if you
  build it the right way.
- zebra supports ripng and ospf6, although you really have to keep up
  with the CVS tree if you want stability.

--
Harald Koch     <chk@pobox.com>