WAS... Re: pTLA request for RMNET - review closes 23 April 2002

Merlin Merlin" <robert@quantum-radio.net.au
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:26:01 +1000

Thanks Tim,
Yup, got that. It's in the collection. As it stands, it could be considerd an opening introduction. But by no means does
it tell the whole picture.
Routing and talking to other hosts/clients on the same network isn't mentioned and so on...

This bit is of course important. It is exactly what I was talking about. The 2002 space is set aside, but because no one
can use it without spending weeks stuffing about - it's probably not being used by many
6to4 uses a special IPv6 prefix: 2002::/16. The IANA has set aside this address space just for 6to4. The 6to4
specification states that the 32 bits after 2002::/16 are the IPv4 address of the gateway machine for the network in
question. This is how the packets know to find their way to your network -- the IPv4 address of your gateway is right in
them! For example, if your gateway machine's IPv4 address is 192.168.2.199 (it obviously wouldn't be since that address
is unroutable, but just for example), your IPv6 prefix would be 2002:c0a8:2c7::/48. Inside of that space, you have 80
bits of address space to do with as you please. Normally each subnet gets a 2^64 netmask, so that leaves 16 bits of
site-local network addressing -- or 65,536 subnets.

cheers
Robert