[OT] IPv6 applications in active use

Ben Winslow rain@bluecherry.net
11 Apr 2002 02:22:12 -0500

--=-e+vUniLGhFUes4xDvdDb

Jeroen's post sparked interest in knowing what people are currently
using with IPv6 support on a regular basis.  I'll add what I can think
of off the top of my head and add some questions that may benefit other
list members as well as myself.=20
> I personally use on day by day basis, IPv6 enabled:
>  - SSH (PuTTY :)
How did you accomplish this?  PuTTY seems to use IPv4 for me, although
OpenSSH (which I use the majority of the time by far) works fine.=20
>  - SMTP
>  - Quake 1 + 2*
>  - HTTP
>  - X
I'm curious: Have you accomplished this without ssh tunneling?  (Not
that it's a good idea to do otherwise much anymore, but...)=20
>=20
I've also been wondering (although this is really beyond the scope of
the list) why Mozilla on Win32 lacks IPv6 support (IE works fine.)  I
believe that WinXP ships with integrated IPv6 (I've never used it, so I
can't say for certain), so it seems a little puzzling to me that IPv6
support is not there at all.=20

As for IPv6 applications I use on a regular basis, the ones that
immediately come to mind are:=20
HTTP...LAN/Internet/Host=20
SSH....LAN/Internet/Host (mostly LAN)=20
Finger..............Host=20
(I claim to have the only IPv6-enabled finger daemon written in shell
script--it even does ident lookups.  finger @halcyon.bluecherry.net or
http://halcyon.bluecherry.net/~rain/simple-fingerd (warning: ugly hack))
IRC....LAN/Internet/Host=20
(If anyone on the list frequents Efnet, hybrid-7 has IPv6
support--assuming they get a move on, this should make it the largest
IPv6-enabled network (assuming that people run ircd on ipv6 hosts, but I
have reason to believe that some will))
X......LAN
(via SSH)

Mail is one place I'd like to see IPv6 support improve for.  Do any MTAs
besides Exim support IPv6?  What MUAs support IPv6?

ssh, HTTP, and nfs make up the majority of my traffic, so I'm more or
less content.

--=20
Ben Winslow (rain@bluecherry.net) : I'm from the South Bronx, and I
       System Administrator       : don't care what you say: those
   Bluecherry Internet Services   : cows look dangerous. -- Colin
    http://www.bluecherry.net/    : Powell =20
          (573) 592-0800          :=20

--=-e+vUniLGhFUes4xDvdDb

--=-e+vUniLGhFUes4xDvdDb--