6bone Architectural Changes? [RE: pTLA request for RMNET - review closes 23 April 2002]

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 01:14:01 +0300 (EEST)

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
> I'll point out that given the prefix length restrictions on the 6bone,
> getting a pTLA is just about the only way for 6bone sites to set up
> redundant routing.
>
> Without a pTLA, you have to renumber to fix your routing -- if I had
> address space from someone 250ms away i'd definitely have an incentive
> to arrange to qualify for a pTLA specifically to be able to set up
> arbitrary tunnels...

Yes, I don't dispute this.  This is not really criticism on RMNET (I just
wondered why they didn't have a closer prefix, but that was probably an
artifact).

What is more important is what people get when they DO get the pTLA.
Some get excited and get N^2 tunnels because they can and provide transit
because it's cool.  Ingredients for a disaster.

At least with less than a pTLA, the damage is limited.