pTLA request for RMNET - review closes 23 April 2002

Bob Fink fink@es.net
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:00:30 -0700

Pekka,

At 05:49 PM 4/10/2002 +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
>On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Bob Fink wrote:
> > >An ISP from Italy has a tunnel and address block from VIAGENIE in Canada.
> > >
> > >Is it just me or does there seem to be something really wrong here?
> >
> > What is wrong? Many times networks that want to get involved with
> > experimenting with IPv6 cannot find reasonable geographically located
> pTLAs
> > to support them with a prefix and a tunnel, so they go to freenet6.
> Part of
> > the reason to expand the pTLA base is to minimize this problem by creating
> > communities of interest with a pTLA of their own so they can then serve
> > their users in a sensible geographical way.
> >
> > If you think there is something wrong with this, please say more.
>
>If I was serious about experimenting with IPv6, I sure would not go
>overseas to find someone who might be willing to slice off a part of a
>block.  However, if I was not serious, I wouldn't care if all my IPv6
>traffic to European countries crossed the Atlantic twice.
>
>In real use this just would *not* have been acceptable.
>
>I'm sure there would have been a pTLA in, perhaps not Italy but Europe
>regardless willing to give space.  Perhaps this might be something
>consider in the evaluation of proper (existing) pTLA behaviour.

This is done quite a bit, i.e., tunnels all over the place, and I don't
really like it either. Unfortunately even when you find some place you
think is close, it often is not. Anyway, it's something that's hard to police.

As a pTLA peering we can exercise good management control and block ones we
don't like, but as an end-site getting experience I fear it is not
practical to do.

If you want to add some other requirements to pTLA requesting than we
already have, let Rob and I know as we are trying to work on a next version
of RFC2772.

In the real practical transition to IPv6 case the 6to4 approach of
automatic tunneling is designed to deal with this (we hope, but still to be
proven over the long term).

Thanks,

Bob