NTP available on IPv6

Marc Blanchet Marc.Blanchet@viagenie.qc.ca
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 15:28:31 -0400

Hi,
  We ported the Network Time Protocol (NTP) current distribution
(ntp-4.1.0.tar.gz) to IPv6. The main components (client, server) have been
ported to enable the use of NTP over IPv6 to synchronize clocks of IPv6
nodes, however, a few other optional components are being ported.

The patches are now integrated in an ntp ipv6-dev branch of the ntp source
tree by the NTP developers for further testing, code inspection and
integration with the main source tree. Discussions have also started with
the NTP developers and Dave Mills on the few issues that remain to be fixed
(refid as an example).

The port was done by Jean-François Boudreault.

A Stratum-1 NTP server is running over IPv6-only at:
ntp.ipv6.viagenie.qc.ca: it is using a Trimble Palisade GPS as its direct
connected source. The service is available on a best effort basis without
any guarantee.

Information on how to get the code and how to use the NTPv6 service is
available at: http://www.viagenie.qc.ca/en/ipv6/ntpv6/index.shtml.

We are looking for feedback from users who would like to test the code and
the server.

Please send your questions/suggestions/modifications/... to ntp@viagenie.qc.ca.

Regards, Marc.

PS. Also an SNTP client and server has been developed (from scratch) and is
also available at the same URL.