Looking for BGP peers

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 18:37:58 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Michel Py wrote:
> >> I _am_ questioning the objectives of asking for peers _here_
> >> for non-/{24,28,35}.
>
> I think "just because it can be done" is a reasonable reason here, and
> it might even bring up some new issues. In the real world, it is a
> probable scenario that sometime two /48 that are geographically close
> but have different TLAs connect with a cross-over 100 mpbs cable and
> want their traffic to be direct. It might be interesting to have lots of
> /48 to peer together and watch out if one of these prefixes makes it to
> the DFZ routing table.

Sure, but you don't _need_ to ask on 6bone list -- you could just send an
email or knock your neighbour's door.

Not that I'd be forbidding such queries, but we were kinda in a same
situation before, in thread:

Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 14:22:52 +0300 (EEST)
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To: 6bone@ISI.EDU
Subject: Filtering prefixes longer than /24

To save the hassle from everyone, it's better not have too high hopes for
peering unless you have a pTLA.