Looking for BGP peers

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 12:35:24 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Pim van Pelt wrote:
> Pekka, others,
>
> | > If I am not correct, you can establish private peering with anyone who's
> | > willing - they don't have to announce your prefix to others...
> | > But perhaps this is not what you are looking for...
> |
> | Sure, that's possible -- but there's very, very small gain from
> | establishing private peering with Joe Random 6Boner on purpose of
> | enhancing the connectivity or what not.
>
> I totally disagree with this statement; We all know (or should know) that
> the TLAs need to aggregate, however. Let us say that I am some NLA with a
> /48 from my upstream p or sTLA. One computer farther away from me is some
> friend that I frequently exchange traffic with (eg it has a nice ftp archive
> or we do NNTP together) in another NLA (not from my upstream p/sTLA)
>
> It would be unwise to force traffic from my network over the global backbone
> just to save aggregation. In this case, I would set up a private peering from
> my NLA to theirs, not announcing this to any of my other peers of course.
>
> I don't think the stricter peering policy was meant to 'forbid' you to peer
> with any other /48 if you see fit; however your routes to that other site
> should never enter the global routing table.

I agree, but this is not what I meant.

If you want to get second /48 prefix to test e.g. multihoming, you can
contact nearby IPv6 sites directly.  6Bone DB gives very good info on
this.

If you want to get direct connection to an interesting service, so that
the traffic will not flow through your own IPv6 upstream, you contact that
particular destination directly for private peering.

Etc.

Only good I can see for asking for peers _here_ is to enhance "global"
connectivity of a pTLA.  As there are filtering rules in place, /48 sites
should not have need for this.

Ie: I'm not saying private peering should not be done; quite the contrary.

I _am_ questioning the objectives of asking for peers _here_ for
non-/{24,28,35}.