ipv6 deployment

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 03:04:01 +0200

Todd T. Fries <todd@fries.net> wrote:

> Will this list be hosted on an ipv6 enabled machine in the future to
promote
> use/testing of ipv6 smtp?
There are not so many lists/smtp's using IPv6 even though one can simply
add an IPv6 AAAA/A6 and IPv4 address
to a box making it totally transparant as the MTA should first try IPv6
(AAAA/A6) records and after that it should fall back to IPv4...
Just like IE does with http, ssh does with openssh and so on....

also travels over IPv6 wherever possible.
(echo "subscribe ipng-ipv6" | mail majordomo@ipng.nl; send mail to
And not to forget that zama has some kind of IPv6 only webmail
interface.

For myself my mail travels from outlook over IPv4 to my mailbox which
runs postfix and after that it travels over IPv6 or IPv4 in the way as
described above.
(I would really like to see IPv6 SMTP & IMAP in Outlook :)

What I am kinda missing is a 'telnet mail-abuse.org' which also has an
IPv6 testing capability...
And coming to that topic... don't forget to block/allow ::ffff:x.x.x.x
IPv4-mapped addresses or you still have an open spam relay.. I luckily
haven't seen any spam coming over IPv6 though :)

> (I've updated my dns so the lowest mx is ipv6 only, and is not an
issue because
>  the 2nd lowest mx is ipv4 and headed to the same machine ..
> so far only kame is sending me ipv6 email ..)
>
> Is there anywhere any registrar that will allow registering
> of an ipv6 address for a dns server?
Depends on your delegation provider :)
Ofcourse you can always smack in those AAAA & A6 records in your
delegated DNS's SOA...
Also see http://www.crt.se/dnssec/bind9/ for the docs...

Greets,
 Jeroen