NTP available on IPv6

Kristoff Bonne kristoff.bonne@skypro.be
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 15:25:25 +0200 (CEST)

Greetings,

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Marc Blanchet wrote:
> Hi,
>   We ported the Network Time Protocol (NTP) current distribution
> (ntp-4.1.0.tar.gz) to IPv6. The main components (client, server) have been
> ported to enable the use of NTP over IPv6 to synchronize clocks of IPv6
> nodes, however, a few other optional components are being ported.
(...)
> Information on how to get the code and how to use the NTPv6 service is
> available at: http://www.viagenie.qc.ca/en/ipv6/ntpv6/index.shtml.
> We are looking for feedback from users who would like to test the code and
> the server.
OK. I have it a try on a PC running OpenBSD 2.8.

This is what I got.
1/ "ntpdate ntp.ipv6.viagenie.qc.ca" DID seams to work;
2/ "ntpd" did NOT work with my standard /etc/ntp.conf
server ntp1.belbone.be
server ntp2.belbone.be
server ntp.ipv6.viagenie.qc.ca
multicastclient
driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
broadcast 224.0.1.1 ttl 63

I removed the lines "multicastclient" and "broadcast" (which had to do
with IPv4 multicasting); which seams to work better but not completely OK.

First: I get these syslog-messages
Oct 15 15:19:18 thor ntpd[10098]:
sendto(3ffe:b00:c18:1:202:b3ff:fe31:fa5f): Invalid argument
Oct 15 15:19:18 thor ntpd[10098]:
sendto(3ffe:b00:c18:1:202:b3ff:fe31:fa5f): Invalid argument

Second: 'xntpdc' (which is non-IPv6) seams to crash the ntpd-daemon.

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.
--
KB905-RIPE                                       Belgacom  IP networking
(c=be,a=rtt,p=belgacomgroup,s=Bonne,g=Kristoff)  Internet, IP and IP/VPN