IOS for 2500 - roundup

Paul Aitken paitken@cisco.com
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 20:30:24 +0000

Thanks to everyone for their input on the 2500 issue. There are several
points I'd like to follow up.

Marko Veelma wrote:

> I asked that in September and that was the answer from Cisco:
>
> :: We are still working on a plan to support 12.2T on 2509/2511 platforms.
> :: There are some memory constraints that we have to resolve.  We hope to
> :: have a resolution soon.

Some of the 12.2(2)T images were too big for the 2500 platform, so none
were released while we considered what to do. Most of the 12.2(4)T
images are also too big, but realising how popular this platform is for
experimenting with IPv6, we managed to release the IP PLUS image. This
is great if you're just learning about IPv6, but if you're serious about
IPv6 you should upgrade your hardware ;)

chris schuerger wrote:

> I just checked the Cisco site.  Looks like the IOS version you want to
> get your hands on is 12.2T,

IPv6 was introduced in 12.2(2)T, so you need a version not older than
that - which for now means 12.2(2)T, 12.2(2)T1, 12.2(4)T or 12.2(4)T1.

> the page also says IPv6 is only available on
> IP Plus, Enterprise, or Service Provider IOS images.  I'm not really
> sure what that means.

It means that not all images include IPv6 functionality. If you use the
Cisco IOS Upgrade Planner at http://www.cisco.com/go/iosplanner, you'll
see all possible images including those with IPv6 support and those
without. On the other hand, if you use Cisco Feature Navigator at
http://www.cisco.com/go/fn and search for "IPv6", you'll only be shown
images that include IPv6 support.

Or more memorably, http://www.cisco.com/ipv6
--
Paul Aitken
IPv6 Development, Cisco Systems Ltd, Edinburgh, Scotland. EH6 6LX