Multi-homing

Matt Bradbury mbradbury@aperian.com
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 21:29:22 -0600

Hello everyone,
I've been looking around for some clear answers on how multi-homing is going
to be done in the IPv6 world for the lowly enterprises and smaller ISP's of
the world that can't be a part of the DFZ.

Nothing that I have read gives me any faith in the people that are currently
developing the standards.  As a company, if we did not have the ability to
multi-home with complete redundancy, we would not be able to operate on a
day to day basis.

Maybe I've missed some more recent discussions on the matter, but most of
what I find is from 97-98 timeframe.  If someone could point me to some
references that do take these concerns into account I would greatly
appreciate it.

As a side note to the Aggregation is God philosophy.  If organizations are
given large blocks to start with, I see organizations only having to
announce 1 prefix, as opposed to current situations where organizations
announce many smaller blocks.  They could announce these routes out all of
their peers and they would add to routing tables, but with router
manufactures now touting 1-2 million route storage in their devices, I'm not
sure just how relevant these problems are.