OpenBSD IPv6 problem

Feico Dillema feico@pasta.cs.uit.no
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 19:29:59 +0100

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 04:10:16PM +0100, Kristoff Bonne wrote:
> I know this is not the most-correct place to ask things about IPv6 OpenBSD
> problems, but I do not get any reply when I post in the openbsd
> newsgroups; nor in the IPv6 OpenBSD mailing-list.
You could try snap-users@kame.net (The Kame-stack is what is
integrated in OpenBSD) as alternative. I use NetBSD which also
integrated the Kame IPv6 stack, but things may be different between
the different BSDs, so I may be wrong below.

>         inet6 3ffe:80b0:1001:ff::3 -> 3ffe:80b0:1001:ff::2 prefixlen 127
                                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I believe the only prefixlengths Kame accepts for a gif tunnel are 64
and 128. BTW, for a IPv6 over IPv4 tunnel there's not requiremetn to
assign global v6 addresses to the tunnel endpoints.

However, the error-msg you got more likely points to some kind of
routing problem. Check netstat -rn the right protocol is send over the
right interface. There should be no IPv4 routeing entry in your
routing table pointing over your gif interface.

> - In the log-file, I keep on getting the folling message:
> Mar  6 15:59:46 bgppai /bsd: nd6_lookup: failed to add route for a
> neighbor(3ffe:80b0:1001:00ff::0002), errno=17
This is either a prefixlen problem (as I mentioned above) or the
machine on the other side of the tunnel is misconfigured (is the other
side also a BSD machine?). However, I think these messages are mostly
harmless and should not prevent you from getting traffic through your
tunnel.

Feico.