6to4 clarification needed

Nick Sayer nsayer@quack.kfu.com
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:36:31 -0700

Tony Hain wrote:

[...]
> Another part appears to be deciding when a host would act as its own
> 6to4-router vs. having the IPv4 router also provide that function. The
> simple answer is this is a local decision, but if the router is providing
> the service it should do so in both directions. It appears from your
> description that you have a fully routed public IPv4 network; so all hosts
> could (and in my opinion should) act as their own 6to4-router.

[...]

The difficulty with that is that if a host is its own 6to4 router, then
its own IP address will be in its prefix. Which is fine if it's just a
host on its own. But if you have a network full of hosts, then it is
better to have a single machine act as a router and prefix supplier.
Then all your hosts will network within a single IPv6 network rather
than each one being in its own network and communicating with 6to4 to
other machines on the same piece of cable.