6bone related Questions

Bob Fink fink@es.net
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:08:49 -0700

Amit,

At 03:16 PM 6/13/2001 +0200, Amit Schnitzer wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I recently posted a question regarding the 6bone project, but got no
>response.
>I am posting the same question again because I am not sure it got to its
>destination the last time.
>Here goes...
>
>I'm trying to figure out how to connect my organization to the 6bone
>project.
>My problem is that I am located in Israel and as far as I understand no
>organization from Israel has yet filed a request to register as a  pTLA.

That's correct.

>Does anybody know of such organization ? can you think of an alternative
>pTLA that we can connect to  (who's the preferred from our point of view ?)?

As always when doing configured tunnels, you need to pick a few from the
6bone pTLA list and try traceroutes to them to see if they are reasonable
for you. Have you read this section on the 6bone hookup page?

<http://www.6bone.net/6bone_hookup.html>

Also, you can come up using 6to4. See
<http://www.6bone.net/6bone_6to4.html>. Also, you can talk to Ron Broersma:

person:       Ron Broersma
address:      SPAWAR Systems Center, San Diego
phone:        +1 619 553 2293
e-mail:       ron@spawar.navy.mil
nic-hdl:      RLB1-6BONE
notify:       ron@spawar.navy.mil
changed:      ron@spawar.navy.mil 20010221
source:       6BONE

He used 6to4 to get DREN up and qualified for its pTLA this way.

>In addition, I am trying to figure out all the implications that might rise
>as a result of connecting to the 6bone project:
>Financial implications - equipment, manpower, registration fees and etc.

Very little is needed until it becomes production for you (presumably that
will be a while from now). Some pTLAs spend more than others to be on the
6bone, but I think it is proportional to their network size/scope and how
production they want to make it.

>Time implications - registration period, project participation period and
>etc.

That's covered in the requesting a pTLA page:

<http://www.6bone.net/6bone_pTLA_rqst.html>

>What should I do once I am connected to the 6bone ? Are there special daily
>tasks or "to-do list" or should I sit back and relax until I'll get my pTLA
>assignment ?

Again, the pTLA request page, and read RFC2772:

<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2772.txt>

If you have more questions, please ask me.

Thanks,

Bob