Filtering prefixes longer than /24

itojun@iijlab.net itojun@iijlab.net
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:46:44 +0900

>You're right; it's not a complete non-issue, but I feel it's very safe to
>assume that at least 10,000 routes can be handled just fine.  Building
>IPv6 routing archtitecture on the fact that aggregation is very aggressive
>and DFZ has only e.g. less than 500 routes or the like would probably lead
>to some sort of CIDR disaster.

	who is going to decide whether you are within the first 10000
	(lucky) routes, or you are outside of it and now can't advertise?

	there are other multihoming mechanisms that does not impact worldwide
	routing table size.  for example, draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipv6-2260-01.txt
	and some others.  you may want to try these.
	(but "multihoming" is rather a vague term, so the goals may be
	different by who you talk to - the goals of the above draft is
	clearly stated in the draft)

itojun