Filtering prefixes longer than /24

Robert J. Rockell rrockell@sprint.net
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 14:35:17 -0400 (EDT)

I think the basis for 2772 was to establish a 'minimal' set of filtering
guidelines upon which we could form a 'stable' 6bone. Without at least this
much participation in filtering, it would be difficult to find problems in
Ipv6 deployment (at the protocol level; not necessarily the
implementations).  What one does with their immediate upstream for
load-sharing when they have multiple connections to one upstream is up to
them and their upstream. I agree with Itojun here.

If this makes multi-homing difficult, or the like; that is sort of the
point. This is all supposed to be aggregatable at the most fundamental
levels, thus putting a top limit on the number of non-customer routes a TLA
will have to carry. Violating this just adds factors of 2 to the routing
table size, in theoretical limit.  I agree there is problems, specifically
in multi-homing.  The goal was to fix the problems with multi-homing, and
this was a good way to bring the problems out.  IMHO, I don't want to fix
the symptoms.

If you are homed to one provider with multiple connections, and have a /32
from them, one can either negotiate de-aggregation with them, or use other
BGP attributes to make one's desired policy to work. If you are announcing
pTLA A's /32 to pTLA B, and this caused a problem when you moved, then you
have violated rfc2772 already.

Thanks
Rob Rockell
Principal Engineer
SprintLink Europe/Asia
Sprint E|Solutions: Thinking outside the 435 box