Filtering prefixes longer than /24

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 14:22:52 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

It appears some people are filtering prefixes longer than /24 in 6bone.
We'd like to advertise /32.

This was noticed when we wanted to change the peerings to a second router,
and moved a "backup one" first and forced the traffic go through there; to
certain locations, the return packets disappeared to the network
advertising /24.

The routing document says you MUST make arrangements with your peers if
you do longer advertisements, but advertising these prefixes doesn't help
any if they are being filtered by the third parties.

Filtering /48 and more specific is IMO ok to me, but /32 appears a little
too strict.