xBSD and IPv6

Feico Dillema feico@pasta.cs.uit.no
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 02:09:20 +0100

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 10:02:06PM +0100, NDSoftware wrote:
> 1/
> What's the best BSD for IPv6 ?
> FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD,... ?
> It's for a router/firewall.
They all use the Kame IPv6 stack (www.kame.net), but NetBSD integrated
IPv6 the longest time ago and has therefor a very stable IPv6 stack
and has the most userland support for IPv6. If you need stability
choose NetBSD-1.5. If you need the latest experimental IPv6 features
to play with for research purposes or thelike, get the latest kame
snapshot for either NetBSD or FreeBSD. I personally have used both
NetBSD and FreeBSD with IPv6, but all our routers now run NetBSD-1.5.
It just works, and the support from the NetBSD crowd wrt IPv6 is
excellent.

> 2/
> With a xBSD, can i do that:
>
> Internet Connection
> |
> |- IPv4
> \
>  \-IPv6
>
> eth0: Internet Connection (Input)
> eth1: only IPv4
> eth2: only IPv6
Yeah, sure. No problem. Just assign only IPv4 address to eth1 and only
IPv6 address to eth2.

> 3/
> How i can have on RedHat 6.2 with IPv6 support:
> Apache 1.3.17 + OpenSSL/ModSSL + PHP4 ?
> I want compile it because i need specify option for php...
> My Apache must accessible in IPv4 and IPv6...
I have gotten Redhat to run with IPv6 once. It wasn't fun. I won't do
it again for a while. Cannot help you there, but maybe you want to
check out the USAGI project (do a search for its URL, or dig in the
archives of this list or the ipng list) that aims at improving the
IPv6 support for Linux.

Feico.