Connections to 6bone and Dante's IPv6 network...

Wilfried Woeber, UniVie/ACOnet woeber@cc.univie.ac.at
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:10:39 +0100

  Hi Chris,

>Greetings from Slovenia Europe.

  Greetings from Austria *g*.

> I'm wondering if anyone on the list has
>any experience in connecting to both 6bone and Dante's IPv6 network. I'm
>interested in the differences between the two services, advantages,
>disadvantages etc. Any help would be appreciated.

  I'd say that this is not a one (x)or the other.

  A lot of people, sites and organisations try to build IPv6-protocol
  based networks or islands.

  The 6Bone is one name and project (deploying a certain set of address
  blocks) and a set of guidelines (i.e. routing configuration guidelines)
  to achieve that goal
  (those who do know more details about the history of the 6Bone are
   very welcome to correct me!).

  On the other hand DANTE is a company that manages a European R&D network
  (production, IPv4-based) _and_ is involved in some test development
  activities alongside with some European R&D networks and companies.

  One of those projects involves IPv6-related activities, in particular
  with the goal to interconnect as many european R&D networks as possible
  with IPv6, and doing so with addresses from the sTLA-space. To round it
  out, we are also looking (trying to look - time permitting) into DNS,
  routing, mobility, multi-homing, logistics....

  In case you are not aware of those activities and the framework to join,
  please get back to me privately.

  So, in the end, you (your network) would end up being connected to that
  part of the Internet that happens to use IPv6 protocols and technology.

  You/ARNES can certainly do that "on your own" by building a connection
  to the 6Bone and you would be more than welcome to join in with the
  TF-NGN IPv6 activities :-)

  Btw, to bridge the distance beween ARNES and e.g. ACOnet it just takes
  one hop on the TEN-155 ATM paths, or a couple of them to get access to
  SWITCH in Geneva or DFN in Frankfurt :-)

  Cheers,
  Wilfried.
  Wilfried Woeber                 : e-mail: Woeber@CC.UniVie.ac.at
  UniVie Computer Center - ACOnet : Tel: +43 1 4277 - 140 33
  Universitaetsstrasse 7          : Fax: +43 1 4277 - 9 140
  A-1010 Vienna, Austria, Europe  : RIPE-DB: WW144, PGP keyID 0xF0ACB369