denoting IPv6 addresses and ports

Antonio Querubin tony@lava.net
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 02:25:06 -1000 (HST)

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Robert Elz wrote:

> Literal (hex/binary) IPv6 addresses should be seen by almost
> nobody (there should never have been a standard way of putting
> them in URLs, that is a truly dumb idea).

I suspect there's a fair number of folks working in the tech support field
who would disagree with you.  Perhaps you don't do spend a significant
amount of time troubleshooting combined httpd/DNS problems for customers.
On a number of occasions I've had a need to explicitly specify an IP
address and/or port in a URL.  Ensuring that one can continue to do so in
an unambiguous way even with an IPv6 address only helps win acceptance of
IPv6 by reducing the annoyance level.  While this standardization might
seem dumb to you, I think it's important enough to at least some of us.