Routing of 2002::/16

Dave Wilson dave.wilson@heanet.ie
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:37:54 +0000

Hi all,

I'm looking into setting up a 6to4 relay router for my customers, and
could use some help parsing RFC3056.

>   On its native IPv6 interface, the relay router MUST advertise a route
>   to 2002::/16.  It MUST NOT advertise a longer 2002:: routing prefix
>   on that interface.  Routing policy within the native IPv6 routing
>   domain determines the scope of that advertisement, thereby limiting
>   the visibility of the relay router in that domain.

Now I take it that this means that I must advertise 2002::/16 within my
own network, and to as many of my peers as I (and they) choose, but
there is no requirement to advertise it to the entire IPv6 internet. Is
this correct? If so, is it good practise to attempt to advertise
2002::/16 widely, or selectively?

I see also that it's forbidden to advertise prefixes longer than
2002::/16, for good reason. This would seem to mean that packets going
from native IPv6 site --> 6to4 site are reliant on either the native
site (or their upstream) having a relay router, or on some kind person
advertising 2002::/16 to the entire internet. Is this so?

Many thanks,
Dave