idea for ipv6 allocation scheme

Ilja.Maslov@nokia.com Ilja.Maslov@nokia.com
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 07:21:37 +0300

Hi,

Wanted to touch mobile devices a bit.

In current GPRS implementation, the addresses (IPv4 or IPv6) are assigned by
GGSN (gateway out of the GPRS backbone towards the content).

This means, that even if you're roaming in a foreign country, you still get
the address of your very own operator.  Things are supposed to be changed a
bit in 3G All-IP networks, but I do not remember any discussions on address
assignment by Base Station Controller.
Furthermore, it will make hand-overs to the next cell a nightmare (imagine
changing your IP every time you change your BTS).

Best,
Ilja

:
: Just to summarize the responses:
:
: > As if the Privacy people weren't paranoid enough already :)  The MAN
: will
: > surely know what they are up to then...
:
: The MAN already knows. And I'm as paranoid as any, but the
: whole purpose
: of this is to wire up the 90+% of the world's population who
: don't care
: what the MAN does. I think the MAN might even like the idea
: enough to foot
: the bill.
:
: > Interesting idea but 2 immediate issues come to mind:
: > 1. How do I address the 764 devices and processes in my
: home or office
: > or the 140 unique devices in my motor car?
: > 2. What if I don't want to give out my address?
:
: Guys like you and me will always be able to get a few gazillion ipv6
: addresses using 6to4 or other means. The idea here is to get
: the rest of
: the world online and sharing information and ideas.
:
: > I wouldn't use this scheme for allocating IPv6 addresses,
: it is the job
: of
: > DNS to make it easy to address a computer containing your webpage
: right? You
: > also face the problem of privacy (as someone mentioned),
: ISPs sharing
: > addresses (very large routing tables?), and management costs.
:
: > I don't think it is necessary to start out with the planets
: name, first
: of
: > all we are not there yet, secondly I can imagine the lag involved in
: > greate distances and a threeway handshake. If we just could send
: > information faster than light..
:
: Good points. But I kind of like the idea of eliminating DNS
: in at least
: one addressing scheme. The ISP sharing thing would be a big
: problem, I was
: thinking however of a separate infrastructure, either
: government-funded or
: grassroots-initiative.
:
: I'd still give a byte up for the planet code, for the 'cool' factor if
: nothing else.
:
: > Not to mention that I have an IPv6 NETWORK in my house.  Do
: I have to
: > have a IPv6-NAT for that?
:
: Another inveterate hacker. You _could_, but you wouldn't need
: to, because
: you can also get addresses by other methods.
:
: > You forgot to think about the possibility of having more
: than 1 computer
: > per street address.
: > What about those 1/4th mile tall skyscrapers, without
: counting all the
: > wall switches aso...
:
: > IPv6 has chosen to keep the last 64bits as a private address part...
: > Can you shrink all the above in only 8 bytes ?
:
: Didn't forget that at all. This is not about J. Random
: Hacker, it's about
: normal people (the kind that don't subscribe to lists like this).
:
: And who says we have to play by the rules, anyway? Even if I
: agree on the
: last 64 bits being private, who says I can't subnet those out even to
: /128s? And yes, in many cases, with a good compression
: scheme, I could get
: the above into 8 bytes. 2 for the TLA, 1 planet, 1 country, 1
: state/province/prefecture etc., 1 city; makes 6. For a small town with
: less than 65,000-some-odd addresses that would work.
:
: > Heh, Really, the idea I think would have promise, would be a
: conspirist's
: > nightmare ;)
:
: I'm something of a conspiricist myself, but I think speading
: connectivity
: would have more advantages than disadvantages.
:
: > You might want to check out Tony Hain's (additional) Provider
: Independent
: > assignment idea:
:
: > http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hain-ipv6-pi-addr-00.txt
: >
: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hain-ipv6-pi-addr-use-00.txt
:
: > This creates a more unique 48-bit prefix and leaves the rest to the
: users.
:
: I shall do that. I'm sure there are many ways of doing this.
:
: > I personally think the above is worse than John's idea. Not
: only does
: this
: > require that these /48's be globally routed making it near
: impossible to
: > aggregate this address space, but it also gives an attacker the 10m
: location of
: > a persons or organisations internet access point! A bombers
: paradise.
:
: > The other problem with John's idea is that the address of a
: machine is
: tied to
: > its address. Not only would routers have to contend with
: new streets and
: houses
: > being built, but what if you move a lot?
:
: > These problems can be oversome I'm sure, but perhaps it's
: best discussed
: in
: > context of the next version of IP (IPv8 anyone?). ;)
:
: You move, you change addresses. That's the point. And if the
: infrastructure is laid out well, the impact on routers will
: be minimal.
:
: IPv8 would be great, but I was hoping to do something before
: I get much
: older; I'll bet we'll be facing the time_t crisis before ipv8
: gets off the
: drawing boards.
:
: > Zip codes are probably a way to go.
:
: > I once thought about network adressing based upon lat and
: long; the idea
: > was that routers could, knowing their own location, use
: this information
: > as a hint to route packets a bit closer (physically) to their
: destination
: > when network route information was lacking. If you make certain
: > constraints on the physical architecture, you can even
: ditch BGP and do
: it
: > all with coordinates. Just need to make sure that, if you drew the
: network
: > as a big diagram, no area bounded by network connections (with no
: > connections across it) is convex, or else you have a
: "peninsula" that
: can
: > fill up with traffic meant for points beyond it.
:
: > The cost of administering that is probably less than the
: cost of RIPE et
: > al and all those complex BGP implementations and routing tables :-)
:
: Zipcodes would work great in the US, since the USPS already
: does all the
: work of mapping out new addresses to delivery-walk 11-digit codes. An
: 11-digit decimal number will fit easily into 5 bytes, leaving
: room for the
: TLD and country code. I may have to drop the planet code after all...
:
: Thanks everyone for the comments. Even if the IANA can't be
: persuaded to
: grant a TLA for this crude idea, it could be used by neighborhood LANs
: which don't connect to the internet... I'll post a webpage on
: this if I
: make any headway.
:
: jcomeau@world.std.com aka John Otis Lene Comeau
: Home page: http://world.std.com/~jcomeau/
: Disclaimer: Don't risk anything of value based on free advice.
: "Anybody can do the difficult stuff. Call me when it's impossible."
: