Security models from Telcos in IPV6 implementations?

hasan.ali@uk.pwcglobal.com hasan.ali@uk.pwcglobal.com
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 14:55:21 +0100

Memo from Hasan Ali of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Hi All,

A point for discussion, possibly.

I've heard a statement that telcos may "tie in" potential users of their IPV6
services, by using unique security models.  This has been suggested as a reason
for IPV6 adoption becoming less likely.

This seems very much in conflict with the core benefits - both in business and
other terms - of the internet, and I suspect the argument has key weakesses in
that the most likely analogy would be with a VPN service.  So what would
actually happen is the equivalent of a secure connection service that can
connect to any point that's part of the underlying internet, but with a
proprietary client software requirement.

In other words, I don't think that this is an issue that makes the eventual
deployment of IPV6 less likely.

However what do the other readers on this list think?  Are there any
showstoppers of this kind, or is the view that - eventually - an IPV6 future is
inevitable?

How certain are we all that IPV6 must happen?

Regards,

Hasan

The principal place of business of PricewaterhouseCoopers and its associate
partnerships is 1 Embankment Place, London WC2N 6NN where lists of the
partners' names are available for inspection. All partners in the associate
partnerships are authorised to conduct business as agents of, and all
contracts for services to clients are with, PricewaterhouseCoopers. The UK
firm of PricewaterhouseCoopers is authorised by the Institute of Chartered
Accountants in England and Wales to carry on investment business.
PricewaterhouseCoopers is a member of the world-wide
PricewaterhouseCoopers organisation.
it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
intended recipient is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please