ipv6 addressing - non-routable equivalents?

Peter Håkanson peter@ipsec.nu
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 23:31:12 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Wilfried Woeber, UniVie/ACOnet wrote:

> >The widespread adoption of MAC-based addressing has some serious hurdles
> >to overcome.  In the meantime, I don't see why more traditional schemes
> >can't continue to be used or be discouraged in favor of MAC-based
> >addressing.
>
>   I don't see why you try to make "us" believe that there is a problem?
>
>   No part of the IPv6 Addressing Architecture requires the use of this MAC
>   address magic. In fact the whole system is designed to work perfectly
>   *without* that mechanism, including a mandatory mechanism to detect
>   duplicate interface addresses within the same prefix space (as may
>   happen due to manual and/or DHCP-style configuration activity ;-).

without the "MAC address macic" we could use 64 bit addresses. Just to mention
one difference.

>   There is more than one IF type around these days, which does not have a
>   MAC address. Still those links can be used, even using autoconfiguration
>   (e.g. serial links :-).
>
>   And there is a draft which deals with security issues in using the
>   MAC-address based magic.
>
>   And there is a draft that deals with ICPMv6 based revDNS functionality.
>
>   So what. Come on, reality check, please....

the reality is that MAC addresses is the exception ...

--
Peter Håkanson            | Melissa ? Lovletter ? Joke ? Mothers day ?
tfn 0707 328101              | Not on this mailsystem!