ipv6 addressing - non-routable equivalents?

Antonio Querubin tony@lava.net
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 17:45:01 -1000 (HST)

On Sat, 7 Oct 2000, Keith Owens wrote:

> The ability to plug two or more IPv6 devices into a free standing LAN
> and have them work out of the box without setting up DHCP or DNS first.
> Think about the small office that has a few PCs and printers and is not
> yet connected to the outside world.  IPX handles this case nicely, IPv4
> cannot without DHCP or equivalent, IPv6 uses link local addresses which
> are autoconfigured using MAC.  Smart houses anyone?

No argument with that.  For link-local and site-local addresses we don't
care about global uniqueness now do we?  My concern is with the
global-scope addressing and it's impact on address space as well as DNS
management.