ipv6 addressing - non-routable equivalents?

Brian E Carpenter brian@hursley.ibm.com
Fri, 06 Oct 2000 13:18:19 -0500

Antonio Querubin wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>
> > IPv4 addresses aren't globally unique these days - we lost that
> > with NAT. The intent is for IPv6 to restore the uniqueness property,
> > not to create some magic new property.
>
> Not everyone uses NAT.  For those of us that don't, how does a MAC-based
> IPv6 address provide uniqueness that a sequentially assigned (or any other
> scheme that provides uniqueness) IPv6 address does not?

Well, it can be unique in the bottom 64 bits alone. On some models of the
future that is a useful property.

> My point is that uniqueness can be obtained in different ways.  However,
> the MAC-based addressing scheme buys very little that can't also be
> obtained in other simpler ways that are easier to manage.

Huh? What can be simpler than auto-configuration using the MAC address
of your NIC? No management required. If you want multiple addresses
per interface, you have to do something else of course - but whatever
it is will be more complicated than auto-config.

> I suspect that
> MAC-based addressing will fall into the 'good idea but in practice...'
> category.  As I mentioned before, I think it violates the KISS principle
> and I think is just one additional piece of baggage that slows down the
> adoption of IPv6.

I believe exactly the opposite.

   Brian