ipv6 addressing - non-routable equivalents?

Peter Håkanson peter@ipsec.nu
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 10:55:55 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Jonathan Guthrie wrote:

> > > My reading of rfc2373 (which can be retrieved from
> > > ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2373.txt, if you have a mind to read it) is
> > > that those 16 bits (which are inserted starting at bit 24) are required to
> > > be 0xfffe.
%%%%snip%%%%%%%%%%%>

%%%%%%snip%%%%%%%%%
> Globally-unique interface identifiers gives us a chance to change that.
>
> With globally-unique interface identifiers, it becomes possible for the
> software at the endpoints to determine that multiple routing options exist
> and to exercise their own control over what routes a packet take.  The
> rest of the Internet can simply take the attitude that the routing
> structure is a tree and pass the packets along, fat, dumb, and happy.
>
> Of course, this requires more than the adoption of IPv6 to accomplish.
> In particular, it requires the ability for the TCP and UDP implementations
> to recognize that packets sent from the same globally-unique interface
> identifier are from the same place even if the network numbers are
> different and it requires the routing software to routinely make routing
> decisions, at least in part, on the source address, and it may require
> other things I haven't thought of.  However, the point is that it doesn't
> work unless most interface identifiers are globally unique.

There is no such thing as GLOBLLY UNIQUE IEEE adressess available everywhere!

In a restricted sence one may rely on "unique" MAC-adresses. That is
if certain technologies are used on link-level, restricted to a
subset of it's capabilities, and noone ever makes any administrative
mistakes (or plain cheats).

But in the long run we cannot build network infrastructure on
the assumption that "linklayer technology never changes".

Just think of ATM. It uses no IEEE adresses. One have to create
one, (and how do i create a unique ?) same goes for ppp links,
Frame-delay links, mobile UTMS phones etc.

This is one of the design "features" of ipv6 that prevents deplayment.

My 2 cents

> I believe that many people will want to have multiple globally-unique
> interface identifiers on the same computer.  Is there a standard way of
> doing this?

DNS. It's a globally unique (and that can be guarranteed unique).

--
Peter Håkanson            | Melissa ? Lovletter ? Joke ? Mothers day ?
tfn 0707 328101              | Not on this mailsystem!