IPv6-only reachable (web)-site

Kristoff Bonne kristoff.bonne@skypro.be
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 21:39:42 +0100 (CET)

Greetings,

>> I did notice however that a traceroute from Belgium to Norway went
>> over Japan.
>> Well, it's not via the US (as would be the case for IPv4), but
>> hardly optimal neither. ;-)
> Well, you can bet this goes via the US (twice even :-).
Thing do are changing. There are actually some networks who do have direct
connections to Asia!

> > Isn't there any co-operation on European level for this kind of stuff?
> > (e.g. ten-155?)
> TF-TANT (the experimental side of TEN-155/Quantum) runs an IPv6
> network, mostly over TEN-155's ATM infrastructure:
> http://www.tbit.dk/quantum/ip6.html
> Currently the participants are all National Research Networks, and
> unfortunately BELNET doesn't seem to be one of them.
Well, it would be nice if we could have peering with these networks. ;-)

> I agree that some coordination would be useful to reduce routing
> absurdities like the one you observed, but this seems quite hard given
> the way the 6BONE is organized (very loosely).  I think the 6BONE is
> more useful as a platform for experimentation and interoperability
> testing than for production-quality packet transport over the globe.
True, but it would be nice to know -if I get very bad response-times from
a newly-installed web-proxy; if that is due to the proxy or due to basic
network-problems. (;-))

Anycase, there is always the possibility to set up bilatural peering
between 6bone-networks when it makes sence (like if there already good
IPV4-connectivity).

Anycase, that how it is done on IPv4: find out to what network you have
bad connectivity and you try to get peering with them.
In the IPv4-work, you can only do this went your both on a common
Internet-Exchange. In IPv6, you just tunnel over v4, so it should actually
be easier.

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.
--
KB905-RIPE                                      belgacom internet backbone
(c=be,a=rtt,p=belgacomgroup,s=Bonne,g=Kristoff) International Connectivity