IPv6 DNS autoconfiguration?

David Gethings davidg@uk.uu.net
Thu, 25 May 2000 06:48:12 +0100

Unfortunately Nick I don't think it's quite as simple :(

Most people use their ISP's resolvers, so link-local and site-local
addresses won't be much use.

One way around this (and I haven't thought about this *too* hard!) is to get
the info from the router. Virtually all routers have resolver addresses
configured into them, so they could pass this config to the hosts on the
LAN.

Even as I typed the above it sounded like a nasty hack rather than a proper
solution! For one thing its provider dependant.

I'm sure someone with more time (and a bigger brain ;)) will find a proper
solution, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Regards

David "No doubt there's a RFC detailing how to do this somewhere" Gethings
Network Operations Engineer
UUNET, an MCI WorldCom Company

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Sayer [mailto:nsayer@quack.kfu.com]
Sent: 24 May 2000 11:18
To: 6bone@ISI.EDU
Subject: IPv6 DNS autoconfiguration?

I have some random thoughts for how one could achieve IPv6 DNS
autoconfiguration, which I regard as the last step before
plug-n-play networking truly arrives.

One simply needs to fill in the "nameserver" line, really.
Everything else is optional.

It could be as simple as a recommendation that a particular
link-local alias (fe80::35?) always either be a name server or
a redirector. Or perhaps a particular site-local address
(ff00::35?) ?

... Or do people envision using a dumbed-down DHCP for this?
Maybe it's just me, but the ability to define site-local
aliases so easily makes me think that nothing is gained from
using DHCP instead of an alias. What does everyone think?