IPv6 DNS autoconfiguration?

Robert Elz kre@munnari.OZ.AU
Thu, 25 May 2000 12:46:50 +1000

    Date:        Wed, 24 May 2000 15:17:43 -0700 (PDT)
    From:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>

  | One simply needs to fill in the "nameserver" line, really.
  | Everything else is optional.

The nameserver line is optional too - then it defaults to a nameserver
on localhost.

The only difference between this and a hundred other services that need
to be configured (or might) (and OK, perhaps a half dozen...) is that
a nameserver is less frequently actually run on the local host than many
of the others.

But, I'm just as likely to need to fine my SMTP server, POP server,
printer server, NFS server for my user files, NTP server, HTTP proxy, ...

Without having ever actually looked at what is going on out there, I had
always half imagined that it was ssvrloc's job to help find all of these
kinds of things.

DHCP can do it as well, usually at the cost of more configuration (one
can imagine servers registering themselves somehow with svrloc, but not
with dhcp .. but maybe that's just because I know dhcp better).   I'm
not sure I'd like to race around defining lots of well known link-local
aliases, and then require routers to be configured to forward them to
the right places (when they're not really local).   Actually, it is worse
than that, sending to a link local, I should be using a link local source,
if the actual nameserver is not on the local subnet, but remote, that
can't work at all - the router would need to do very nasty tricks.

kre