IPv6 DNS autoconfiguration?

Nick Sayer nsayer@quack.kfu.com
Wed, 24 May 2000 15:17:43 -0700 (PDT)

I have some random thoughts for how one could achieve IPv6 DNS
autoconfiguration, which I regard as the last step before
plug-n-play networking truly arrives.

One simply needs to fill in the "nameserver" line, really.
Everything else is optional.

It could be as simple as a recommendation that a particular
link-local alias (fe80::35?) always either be a name server or
a redirector. Or perhaps a particular site-local address
(ff00::35?) ?

... Or do people envision using a dumbed-down DHCP for this?
Maybe it's just me, but the ability to define site-local
aliases so easily makes me think that nothing is gained from
using DHCP instead of an alias. What does everyone think?