Question About IPv6 on Linux

Nattapong Mongkolnavin nmongko@advtech.uswest.com
Mon, 15 May 2000 15:42:17 -0600

Folks,

I've just got a /48 IPv6 address space from one of the pTLA providers.
I set up my cisco 2514 as my tunnel source.
On my router's ethernet0, I subnet the assigned address to a /64
network.
This network has two workstations. One of them is Mandrake 7.0 Linux.

The problem that I am experiencing is on the Linux box 's eth0.
For now I set up my router to send out a prefix-advertisement every 60
seconds and have
the prefix valid for 360 seconds. When the prefix get expired, the linux
box the releases the
global unicast address and never re-acquires the prefix.

So I temporary fix the problem by shuting down the interface and
bringing it back up after the prefix expiring.

This will make the linux box send out Neighbor Discovery messages and
then get a prefix
advertisement from the router.

I would like to know if there is anyone experience with this kind of
problem before?

Thanks,

Nattapong.