Router vendors

Greg Maxwell Greg Maxwell <gmaxwell@Martin.FL.US>
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 15:16:49 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, HANSEN CHAN wrote:

> Can you enlighten me on what is zebra? A new startup???

No. Zebra is routing software for Unix-ish systems.
It's got a realtime command like interface that is very ciscoish.

When combined with the iproute2 code in Linux 2.2.x and netfilter you have
a very feature complete router:

* IPv4, IPv6 (I think some of the nat and firewalling is v4 only)
* Route based on source, tos, port, virtually anything
* BGP4, BGP-4+, RIPv1, RIPv2, RIPng, OSPFv2 and OSPFv3
* Full CBQ, RED, Fairness, prio, Token bucket, traffic control
* Partial ATM support (UBR, CBR, AAL5, limited Lane)
* Diffserve and RSVP
* Multicast routing (pim,dvmrp)
* Every interface type under the sun.
* Full nat (one-one, many-one, various other forms of pervresion) (yuck)
* Advanced firewalling (stateful and nonstateful, the stateful parts are
seperate and require a differnt module, so you know when you are killing
your reliability)

Not at all bad, though the latency isn't great. There is very limited
support for 'Fastroute' on some nics, but most of the above features won't
work with it. Fastroute basically does nic-nic transfers..

Neat stuff.