prospective VPN effects

Petri Bernhard Bernhard.Petri@icn.siemens.de
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 09:15:16 +0100

The term VPN means many things to various people, and may refer to quite a
number of technical concepts (see e.g. RFC 2764-I ). Typical scenarios may
e.g. be the interconnection of 2 sites, or the access of a host to an
Intranet from a remote location. For such scenarios, the term VPN is often
understood in terms of getting a certain QoS, security level, addressing
support, feature set, tunnel provision, manageability, billing discount,
etc.

Depending on which of these criteria is mainly referred to when talking
about VPNs, IPv6 may or may not effect Virtual Private Networking. I can
imagine that within a VPN Service the provision of a certain security level
will be more easy and likely in IPv6, since basic IPSec functions are
mandatory in IPv6; I also assume that a VPN service in IPv6 will not have
those problems with private addressing schemes used in Intranets as the
current IPv4.

For a more detailed evaluation, I suggest you also distinguish between
various scenarios, e.g.:
- IPv4 is used in private network, VPN service provider uses / offers IPv6
backbone
- IPv6 is used in private network, VPN service providers uses IPv4 backbone
- IPv6 is used in the private network and is also used/offered by the VPN
service provider.

Kind regards

-Bernhard

Bernhard Petri, Siemens