Question about the future

hasan.ali@uk.pwcglobal.com hasan.ali@uk.pwcglobal.com
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 14:52:48 +0100

Memo from Hasan Ali of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

No, but IBM mainframes have been around for  a very long time - many as you know
- still in production and (like e.g. OpenVMS systems) there are some on the
(public) Internet.  Be worthwhile for them to have an IPV6 stack available...

...Although how long has IPV4 been available for IBM mainframes?  Six years?
SNA  gateways - needed until fairly recently I seem to recall..  (Do you
remember them - huge damn cables connected directly to the IBM boxes...)

The number of relieved mainframes guys - "look you don't need to retire us - we
can talk to the rest of the network, honest!!"

Do you know how many of these things are still out there?!  Also how many in
active production (the back end of all sorts of web sites...)

(Might throw in a line about how robust this "legacy" technology is...  But will
assume that's known...)

Regards,

Hasan

Peter Bunclark <psb@ast.cam.ac.uk> on 13/06/2000 09:12:24