Question about the future

James Housley jim@thehousleys.net
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 13:46:01 -0400

Dwayne Cann wrote:

> His choice of language was poor. I too believed he worked for IBM, and was
> suprised because I knew that IBM supports IPV6 on AIX. His question is valid
> though. How long before we see widescale implemetation of IPV6? My isp is
> not yet prepared for it.

You are more likely to see IPv6 in "widespread" use in new technologies,
ie cellular phone type devices and similar.  It will be several years
before widespread ISP use in the US.  *BSD and Linux are IPv6 capable,
and others, but the consumers are Micro$loth based.  NT4 has an IPv6
addon to tunnel through IPv4, it can't even connect to a IPv6 network.

This is just how I see it happening.

Jim
--
"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
    -- Anon