6Bone routing problems: www.6bone.net unreachable from CSELT!

Rafal Maszkowski rzm@icm.edu.pl
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 19:33:13 +0200

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 11:41:54AM +0200, Guardini Ivano wrote:
> during the last days I have not been able to access www.6bone.net
> using IPv6 and for this reason I am trying to figure out where the
> problem is.
> First of all, if you look at our 6bone routing reports (available at
> http://carmen.cselt.it/ipv6/bgp/index.html) you can see that presently
> we have ~130 unaggregated prefixes advertised within the BGP4+ cloud.
> Most of the problems seem to come from the sites WES (USAE
> Waterway Experiment Station, USA) and IKARNET (Student Hostels
> Wroclaw University of Technology, Poland).
> In particular IKARNET and its tens of customers seem to own IPv6 prefix
> delegations from several pTLAs: CICNET, ICM-PL, SICS and VIAGENIE.

I got to know that this WES is really a bogus pNLA from Poland using ASN7170
when peering with ATT-LABS-EUROPE and VIAGENIE. The administrator address is
probably ser@serek.arch.pwr.wroc.pl. I am also sending Cc to ASN2020
administrator new address (wiget@pld.org.pl) who has just cleaned the mess at
his site.

> Also the fact that I am not able to reach www.6bone.net seems to be
> somehow related to the routing problem that I have just described. In fact,
> a customer of IKARNET called ZET (Zaklad Energetyczny Tarnow S.A.,
> Poland) is announcing the unaggregated prefix 3FFE:B00:C18::/48, which
> belongs to the VIAGENIE addressing space. I see it through the
> following AS path:
> CSELT - UUNET-UK - VIAGENIE - WES - IKARNET - ZET - Incomplete
> But 3ffe:b00:c18::/48 is the most specific route matching the IPv6 address
> of www.6bone.net (3ffe:b00:c18:1::10). This really puzzles me in that I do
> not think that the site www.6bone.net is located in Poland.
> Am I missing something?

Again IKARNET->false_WES path but maybe ZETs (tomek@ze.tarnow.pl) fault in this
case. Cc to him also.

thanks for announcing/letting me know, I was able to mediate to some extent

R.
PS. Just now the bogus routes disappeared completely, I hope that forever.
--
Ale kto by mył ręce po przywitaniu się z mężem? - A. Fedorczyk