prefix lengths [was Re: stla registry db issue]

Bill Manning bmanning@ISI.EDU
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:14:29 -0800 (PST)

% Here's a somewhat belated response on this topic, and on the previous
% thread.
%
% In this discussion it seems to me that the critical question is, what
% defines an ISP?

	And to answer this question it would be prudent to revisit
	the discussions on this very point in the CIDRd and PIARA
	wg minutes from 1994-1997.  It turns out that the only
	significant difference between an "ISP" and and "RIR" is
	whether they announce via a routing protocol some/all of their
	delegated prefixes to peers.

% themselves an ISP (and we don't care) their assignment will be "provider
% aggregatable" and not entitled to be announced globally. Rather, like any
% other downstream customer, their prefixes will be aggregated by the upstream
% provider within its own announcement.

	the kicker is, once a delegation is made, what enforcement
	methods are in place? And given the fluid nature of the
	technology, fixing "entitlements" to specific delegations is
	downright silly.

% is in fact the proposal of the RIRs that the prefixes announced by any
% organisation will correspond only to their allocation (anywhere from /16 to
% /35), and not to their reservation (which would be either /16 or /29). The
% justification behind this (as discussed with the IAB in Minneapolis last
% year) is that in a future scenario where many TLA and subTLA blocks were
% released and allocated, and where routing table expansion again becomes a
% concern, it is necessary for ISPs to have an objective means available for
% limiting the size of their routing tables, and the best such means available
% is to filter on prefix length.

	there is zero enforcement capability for this view and attempts
	to do so, globally,  by the RIRs will get the RIRs into some
	interesting discussions on restraint of trade, at least in the US.
	ISPs (or those announcing some or all of their delegated prefixen)
	can use these objective means, ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS, to determin
	what/if they will filter.

% The alternative is a huge routing table populated with /16 and /29 prefixes
% only, where no objective means for route filtering is available, and where
% bilateral routing agreements would emerge as the only way for an ISP to
% control its tables.

	The picture is not that bleak. While there is a push for migration
	to strict bilateral agreements, there is an opening to use
	contracted, neutral route servers to construct routing views
	based on ISP whim/policy for given points in the topology.
	Several folks use this service today and I expect it to become
	more widely used... unless the market collapses into a small
	handful of providers.  Quite frankly, I prefer the dense mesh
	of 100s of thousands of providers with peering relationships with
	hundreds of peers instead of hundreds of providers with tens of peers.

	i.e. address delegation policy should not be based on a
	presumption of potential peering, at least for IPv6.

	Sorry for the rant.

% Regards,
%
% Paul Wilson