IPv6 address/port format

Chris P. Ross cross@eng.us.uu.net
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 10:54:04 -0500 (EST)

"Wilfried Woeber, UniVie/ACOnet" <woeber@cc.univie.ac.at> said:
> =[sloth]:~$ telnet 10.1
> =Trying 10.0.0.1...

>   That's exactly why we should avoid room for (different) interpretations.

>   "Everyone" in the routing world would read(expand) 10.1 as 10.1.0.0/16 :-)
>   and I suppose most of the tools (other than your telnet :-) would expand
>   that to 10.1.0.0/32 ....

  Actually, it's not that simple.  There are defined to be two
different interpretations.  When talking about *network* addresses,
10.1 is 10.1.0.0 (and, actually, I think the presumed netmask would be
/8, not /16, for net 10...).  When talking about a *host* address,
it's 10.0.0.1.  That's the "long established" way to do abreviated
dotted-quads.

  Actually, looking at the man page for inet(3) on my BSD/OS machine,
it doesn't even mention the system you're saying "everyone" uses.  It
only mentions the system of putting the last segment in the right-hand
side, scaling it appropriately based on how many segments are in the
given address.  You can probabaly find this man page on any BSD-based
system...

                   - Chris

--
Chris P. Ross				UUNET Technologies, Inc.
cross@eng.us.uu.net			R & D / Engineering