IPv6 address/port format

Perry E. Metzger perry@piermont.com
14 Jan 2000 13:23:26 -0500

Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net> writes:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 12:02:51PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> >
> > Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net> writes:
> > > [ and ] are metacharacters in the POSIX-specified standard Unix shell;
> > > as well as bash, bash2, ksh, csh, tcsh and zsh. Since this list
> > > comprises something like 99% of all Unix shells used, characters
> > > marked as reserved by *all* of them are a really bad choice.
> >
> > Who the hell cares? No one is going to enter in address literals
> > except in extreme circumstances anyway. They're a mile long.
>
> Bull. Network administrators will still have to deal with addresses.

I've run networks for years and I can't remember myself typing in a
URL with an address in it as part of a job. I can remember typing in
addresses lots of other times, of course, but not for that.

> They'd probably also prefer to be able to do this from the Unix shell
> without a menagerie of backslashes and single quotes.

Really, who cares. Two single quotes are going to kill people on the
rare occassion it shows up? I don't think so.

And if it will kill people, this isn't the forum. You could have
argued about this in the IETF working group a long time ago (and I
assure you it WAS argued about.)

Perry