IPv6 address/port format

Nathan Dorfman nathan@rtfm.net
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 16:44:09 -0500

On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 06:15:36PM +0000, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 01:26:10PM +0100, MARAY Tamas wrote:
> >Wrong. Conflicts with the UNIX shell.
>
> There are multiple UNIX shells, or at least multiple shells in
> use on UNIX (and UNIX-like) systems. I don't know if this conflicts
> with all of them, but I doubt it. Your argument is valid, but no
> matter which standard we choose, we will run into conflicts. We'll
> just have to find out how to minimize those conflicts.

[ and ] are metacharacters in the POSIX-specified standard Unix shell;
as well as bash, bash2, ksh, csh, tcsh and zsh. Since this list
comprises something like 99% of all Unix shells used, characters
marked as reserved by *all* of them are a really bad choice.

--
Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>         The statements and opinions in my
Unix Admin @ Frontline Communications    public posts are mine, not FCC's.