configuring our site for ip6.int. DNS reverse mapping

Nick Sayer nsayer@quack.kfu.com
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 22:48:06 -0700

Richard Draves wrote:

> What about for 6to4 address space?

[boldly leaping forward]

If no one else steps forward, I would be willing to conquer this job. I
can cobble together
some scripts and some web that will keep track of 6to4 NS records for
the ip6.int space.
Of course, someone would have to delegate the 2.0.0.2.ip6.int. level to
me.

1. Please don't hate me if this has already been done and I am speaking
out of turn.

2. I don't think this is quite as daunting a task as it may at first
appear. It is likely
in my mind that the number of 6to4 routers will be on the order of 1 per
site and that
they are likely to end up being phased out over time anyway. I further
suspect that the number
of such relays at the moment is low. Further, there is an obvious 1:1
relationship between
6to4 prefixes, 6to4 routers and 2.0.0.2.ip6.int zones. And if in the
future the task becomes
more daunting rather than less, the delegations can be broken up.

3. Giving control of this to the folks who manage the in-addr.arpa
zones, namely the IPv4 ISPs
is... (how shall I put it?) unlikely to result in forward moving action,
as many many many ISPs
are as yet clueless about IPv6.