NAT-PT announcement.

antonio.herrera-alcantara@bt.com antonio.herrera-alcantara@bt.com
Thu, 13 May 1999 11:54:17 +0100

Dear 6BONE community,

I'm forwarding this announcement on behalf of the NAT-PT development team
because I think the previous announcement did not get through this important
list, sorry if you are receiving this twice.

NAT-PT is a v4/v6 translator developed in BT Labs which allows transparent
bidirectional communication between IPv4 and IPv6 networks, the translator
includes a DNS ALG which ensures true transparency and makes the major
difference between this and other translators. Please see below for more
detailed information on NAT-PT.

We have tested the NAT-PT and we are very proud of how it works, we firmly
believe and hope that the NAT-PT development will help boost IPv6 deployment
and proves useful for the transition to IPv6. For this purpose we make
available the software including the source code.

We encourage you to download NAT-PT (see below) and try it, we welcome any
feedback, comments, bug report, etc, and you can obtain support mailing the
NAT-PT development team at:

natpt@labyrinth.bt.co.uk

Thanks,

Antonio Herrera
BT Laboratories
Martlesham Heath, UK.

************** NAT-PT ***************
BT have developed an implementation of NAT-PT (Network Address Translation -
Protocol Translation) which is based on the IETF draft specification
<draft-ietf-ngtrans-natpt-05.txt>
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-natpt-05.txt.
NAT-PT provides a seamless
bi-directional translation capability between IPv4 and IPv6 networks. NAT-PT
is located on the
boundary router between IPv4 and IPv6 and translates all packets crossing
the boundary and where
necessary assigns a global IPv4 address to represent an IPv6 host. DNS is a
vital
component of NAT-PT as it allows hosts to communicate across the boundary by
knowledge
of DNS addresses and negates the need for end hosts to be concerned about
the
destination host network type of IP address.

The implementation developed in BT resides on a FreeBSD host using the Kame
IPv6 stack
for connection to the IPv6 network. We are making the implementation
available to
promote the draft specification, which was jointly written by BT and Lucent,
and also
the concept of NAT-PT as an IPv4/IPv6 translation mechanism.

We have two sites from which the NAT-PT implementation may be downloaded
from.
http://nat-pt.ipv6.bt.net is a 6bone web site. Alternatively
http://www.labs.bt.com/technical/nat_pt/
provides the same access via the Internet. We do ask that you identify
yourself
prior to downloading the code so that we can gauge the level of interest and
for the
notification of code updates. If you would like to send us comments or
report bugs
please reply to this email address

natpt@labyrinth.bt.co.uk