Proposed change in 6bone pTLA 3FFE usage - 2nd (final?) version

Patricio Latini platini@fibertel.com.ar
Thu, 6 May 1999 01:37:37 -0300

I think that it is a good idea to decrease the network size for the new
pTLAs, it gives the opportunity to more organizations can be pTLA.

I think that it's ok.

Patricio Latini
Fibertel TCI2

----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Fink <fink@es.net>
To: 6BONE List <6bone@ISI.EDU>
Sent: Miércoles 5 de Mayo de 1999 20:27
Subject: Proposed change in 6bone pTLA 3FFE usage - 2nd (final?) version

>6bone Folk,
>
>I recently proposed changing the pTLA 3FFE:/16 usage to allow future growth
as the 6bone becomes used more for production. The current usage specifices
an 8-bit pTLA (prefix 3FFE:xx00::/24), thus only providing for 256 pTLAs, of
which 57 are currently in use.

>The proposed change was to leave the lower half of the space usage as is
(at least for now):

> 3FFE:0000::/24 thru 3FFE:7F00::/24  old 8-bit pTLA space
>
>and starting at this point change to a 13-bit pTLA:
>
> 3FFE:8000::/29 thru 3FFE:FFF8::/29  new 13-bit pTLA space
>
>Also, concern had been expressed about the odd bit size of the /29 in terms
of implementing the reverse DNS path, so there was the possibility of making
the new space fall on an nibble bit size boundary, say a /28 or /32.

>Comments generally seem to favor setting the new pTLA space at /28 on the
grounds that 2048 pTLAs (half of a 12-bit pTLA space) is big enough, and
that it makes the reverse path easier to specify for now. There was also a
comment requesting that we don't require 8-bit pTLAs to convert to the newer
pTLA space.

>Thus I would like to change the proposal as follows.
>
>The old 8-bit pTLA space will be reduced to use of the lower half of the
space:

> 3FFE:0000::/24 thru 3FFE:7F00::/24  old 8-bit pTLA space
>
>and starting at this point change to a 12-bit pTLA:
>
> 3FFE:8000::/28 thru 3FFE:FFF0::/28  new 12-bit pTLA space
>
>I would also like to leave existing 8-bit pTLAs in place for the indefinite
future. This issue can be reconsidered in the future as usage of the new
12-bit space dictates.

>It should also be noted that there is no planned policy at this time for
requiring pTLA holders that acquire a TLA or sub-TLA allocation to renumber
out of their pTLA. This issue can also be reconsidered in the future as
usage of the new 12-bit space dictates.

>I would like to cease the allocation of /24 8-bit pTLAs at this time, and
move to the new /28 space. Hearing no convincing arguments to the contrary,
I will assign the next pTLA as a /28. As there are no outstanding pTLA
requests in the queue, it makes at least a two week delay in implementing
this. Comments to the list please.