2010::/16 filtering

Brian E Carpenter brian@hursley.ibm.com
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 12:56:18 -0500

What the draft says is that many relay routers may advertise
2010::/16 but that these advertisements should be limited
in scope by BGP policy. So yes, using an AS # is indicated
so that policies can be put in place. BGP mavens please apply
sanity checks to the new draft draft-ietf-ngtrans-6to4-02.txt

   Brian

Robert Rockell wrote:

> I think that it becomes irrelevant which 6to4 router you use, so
> potentially, multiple people could announce the same prefix. If we adopt
> some kind of rule whereby all pTLA's have a 6to4 router, we won't even have
> to announce it at all.
> Brian, could you comment? I don't want to misinterpret the draft.
>
> Thanks
> Rob Rockell
> Sprintlink Internet Service Center
> Operations Engineering
> 703-689-6322
> 1-800-724-3329, PIN 385-8833
> Ines|e gnyne qh vagr bz s|e Ino ngg una {e hgr bpu plxyne?
>
> On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Craig Metz wrote:
>
> ->In message <4D0A23B3F74DD111ACCD00805F31D810145153E3@RED-MSG-50>, you write:
> ->>>   Is it possible to make the 6to4 translator appear under
> ->>> your legitimate
> ->>> prefix?
> ->>>
> ->>>   I don't think it's a good idea to let every "hey, I'm
> ->>> testing a new service,
> ->>> so please let me advertise a huge prefix" request happen;
> ->>> that will just lead
> ->>> us to a bad place.
> ->>
> ->>6to4 has been accepted by the ngtrans WG as a valuable tool. There are
> ->>already two interoperating implementations that I know of. The logical next
> ->>step is to setup and start testing a 6to4 relay router. I think it makes
> ->>sense to do this using the real 6to4 prefix - otherwise we'll need a
> ->>transition from the temporary 6to4 prefix to the real 6to4 prefix. That
> ->>would be a bad place.
> ->
> ->  Without some care to get the routing configuration done right, when that
> ->second implementation's author wants to also advertise the prefix on the 6Bone,
> ->bad things could happen. I'm no BGP wizard, but I think that it might be clever
> ->to grab a private-use ASN and to advertise all instances of this special prefix
> ->out of that ASN. Can someone who is more of a routing geek than I confirm or
> ->refute this?
> ->
> ->                                                                      -Craig
> ->

Brian E Carpenter (IAB Chair)
Program Director, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM Internet Div
As of May 24, 1999: on assignment for IBM at http://www.iCAIR.org
Non-IBM email: brian@icair.org